Understand the five core questions of grantmaking effectiveness and consider ways to find answers using accessible data. As grantmakers, we evaluate what and who we fund, but often forget to evaluate HOW we make grants, and whether our grantmaking practices are as effective as they can be.
Practices matter. Your grantmaking practices are one of the most public—and sometimes one of the only—expressions of your organizational values that grantseekers experience. Efficient and effective practices ensure that you direct the maximum amount of resources to mission—both yours and your grantees’.
Every grantmaker should be able to answer five basic questions about their grantmaking practice:
- Does our grantmaking align with our strategy?
- Are our grants structured to be successful?
- Are we efficient in our internal processes?
- Are we communicating effectively?
- Is our money going toward mission?
We will share stories of how colleagues at various stages of using data have evaluated the “how” of their grantmaking. Participants will consider practical ways to track and analyze the data they collect to support smarter decision-making.
- Learn about the types of data that grants management systems can (and do) collect (in general –not an intro to grants management systems!)
- Review common questions that can be answered with accessible data
- Develop a plan to use their data to improve practice.
Resources Provided as Part of this Course
- Assessing the How of Grantmaking Guide
- Presentation Deck and Workbook